Friday 25 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 17 - 24 June 2021

Clennell Street to Kirk Yetholm
Walking 6.10am to 1.15pm
Distance walked 14 miles
Distance remaining 1 mile

A very quiet and calm night, unlike in 2017 when I camped here in the windiest conditions ever. I was woken by a skylark singing at what I thought was 5.40 but it was 4.40. Still, I thought I might as well get going. There was low cloud outside which meant no views but, in a clear moment I got a photo of a cloud inversion. As I was packing up, two Spine Race runners went by and we had a brief chat. 
















I got under way. There was no chance of going wrong, just follow the fence, sometimes in England, sometimes in Scotland. In fact, the fence doesn't really denote the border. 

When I reached the signpost for the detour to The Cheviot visibility was poor so I didn't go that way. It's about a mile each way and The Cheviot is an unimpressive lump by all accounts. This partly explains why I've got a mile left over above. I didn't see anyone until I got to Hen Hole Hut where were some tents and one person (two others had gone for water), a Spine Race checkpoint. By this time, the clouds and mist had cleared and I had good views for the rest of the morning. I'd never seen Hen Hole before as visibility was bad here in 2017. 

The ascent to The Schil was long but I was expecting it. 






























I took the high level alternative towards KY (I took the low level on last time - more road walking and fewer views). It was worth it as the views were stupendous and far reaching although the ascent to White Law was punishing. 






























Descending the to the road where both routes meet, there was a steep hill before cruising down to KY and the Border Hotel where I claimed my free half pint of beer and got a certificate of completion. I also treated myself to lunch, my only meal out. 

Me in 2021



Me in 1977

8 comments:

  1. I too shunned the Cheviot and slept in an old railway wagon in a damp sleeping bag and no food before descending to KY with a tear in my eye, early on a Sunday morning to hitch hike home to Preston in time for lunch. Well done to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thenk you. I’m pleased and thankful that all the joints are working well and will survive to hike another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Geoff! Quite an accomplishment. Total miles covered?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know why my profile is showing up as "unknown". It's Mike Cochrane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 270 miles, although maybe 268 as I didn’t do the detour to The Cheviot. I’m glad I was walking, not running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge congrats Geoff, your an inspiration to me. I hope you will write a book about your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one! Love the pics at the Border Hotel.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.