Friday 18 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 11 - 18 June 2021

High Cup to Greg's Hut
Walking 8.45am to 6.10pm
Distance walked 14 miles
Distance remaining 98 miles

Came to with a start. Looked at my watch - 8.50 - realised then it was only 7.45. Still, late enough. Got going quickly. I had the whole wide area of High Cup Nick to myself and it was glorious. Began the four mile descent to Dufton. At the Post Box Pantry tearoom, I bought flapjacks but went back in and ordered a pot of tea, scone, jam and cream. I had time to spare and it was a lovely day again. 
















Then followed the long approach via green lanes, tree lined paths and then a half mile walked track before entering open access land. I stopped for lunch at just over three miles, the views west towards the Lake District being clear. Continuing to ascend, I reached Knock Old Man, from which I could see clearly the radio station at Great Dun Fell over a mile away. Usually, for me, it's hidden in fog and rain. Next a level walk, descent and then ascent to walk next to the radio station. Here I stopped to chat to a couple out walking for the day, the only people I met after Dufton. Descent and then ascent to Little Dun Fell and then a further descent and ascent to Cross Fell, such a vast high plateau and no-one else around. 













































On the other side, on the way down, it was boggy and got feet a bit wet but usually far worse. On joining the bridleway running east west it was half a mile to Greg's Hut. Inside were the two Yorkshiremen, intending to overnight inside. Someone had left sleeping bags there with a note saying please leave for a family with five children coming tonight! They duly arrived, presumably to sleep in the bothy. There's been some noise but all is quiet now. I'm very glad I'm sleeping outside. 




1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your travel diary! Your narratives have gotten longer since you are no longer posting pictures. A nice change!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.