Wednesday 23 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 15 - 22 June 2021

Bellingham to Byrness
Walking 9.40am to 7.30pm
Distance walked 16 miles
Distance remaining 29 miles

I had to wait until nine o'clock to retrieve my power pack from the site reception. I called first at the Village Bakery in Bellingham and bought two steak pies, two slices of Sly cake and two pieces of flapjack. Then a few items from the Co-op next door. I ate one of the pies for breakfast just across the road on a bench. Oh my, it was amazing. 

 














It was to be yet another warm, dry day. Not a lot to be said about the terrain for the first few miles. All dry underfoot and the path easy to follow. Plenty of sheep (but hardly any birdsong for some reason) and large open spaces with wide ranging views. Past Padon Hill as the forest is reached on the left, there was a very steep climb with some oozing mud of an unpleasant colour which I was careful to avoid stepping in. 

Reaching Brownrigg Head, I was passed by a Spine Race runner, she having run all the way from Edale. She didn't stop. I was glad to see that a rough path had been laid for the mile or so that was a nightmarish bog experience when I passed this way in 2017. Further along this path, much of the forest had been felled and replanted. It looked totally different from before.

 














Eventually, the path met the forest road leading to Byrness, a few miles away. It was tedious so I started listening to an audiobook on my phone. About a mile before Blakehopeburnhaugh I stopped for a breather before the final push to Byrness. Whilst sitting by the side of the road, I espies a young woman walking up the road. No pack and there's nothing for miles in the direction I'd come from and where she was going. I asked her where she was going. She was the medic for the Spine Race and was wandering up to see the route. I don't think any runners were due as they can all be tracked online. The last in the race were around Hawes and I was there about a week ago. They are very spread out. 

I stopped at the Race checkpoint at Blakehopeburnhaugh and cheekily asked the marshal if he had any water to spare. He had 100 litres and happily let me have two and also offered me a mug of tea which I didn't refuse. The checkpoint is being manned till Saturday. 

A mile further on I came to the forest wild camping spot I had in mind but it was totally unsuitable so I walked on. Not far on from there I found my spot, next to the footbridge before Byrness - and the river provides good water although I didn't need any. A vehicle track passes nearby and there's a house up on the edge of the forest but I'm screened from it by a belt of trees. A lady with children who walked by said she didn't think I'd have a problem. It's rather midgey though when the breeze drops. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.