Saturday 12 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 5 - 12 June 2021

Ickornshaw to Malham Cove
Walking 6.35am to 6.45pm
Distance walked 20 miles
Distance remaining 191.5 miles

Weather set to be good again. Easy walking but a steep descent into sleepy Lothersdale village. Here I bought a slice of home made cake from an honesty stand in aid of midwives in Uganda.


 













Lovely views from Pinhaw Beacon but, having said that, views were to be had all day really. Mark, who was on the site last night, caught up with me but went on ahead keeping a faster pace. The curlews were very vocal, wheeling around protecting their nests. Lovely birds.

There was nothing to detain me in Thornton in Craven. A mile further I stopped in a lush grassy field to brew coffee and shortly after I joined the canal at East Marton. By some permanent moorings there was a British Waterways Board water tap. I filled a water bottle mainly to check that my key still works and it does.

Gargrave was buzzing. I resupplied with a few things at the Co-op and pressed on. On the edge of Gargrave, I stopped and had a long chat with a fellow walking the Pennine Way north to south and two ladies went by PWay-ing north but using accommodation.

The approach to Malham via Airton and Hanlith was lovely but long. At Hanlith a lady was watering her plants. She kindly turned her sprinkler on my buff which I held out and put back round my neck. So cooling in the heat.

Malham was heaving with day trippers so I passed through quickly. The climb up the steps to the side of Malham Cove was challenging after a long day. I headed for the Dry Valley, the PW route towards Malham Tarn and stopped to make supper. I decided to overnight here but it's been quite busy with runners doing a fifty mile run taking in the Three Peaks. I'm told there may be some stragglers coming by after dark so I've put out a fluorescent thingummy and my head torch with a red strobe light. I don't want to be the cause of an accident.


 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.