Saturday 19 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 12 - 19 June 2021

Greg's Hut to Knarsdale
Walking 5.25am to 5.45pm
Distance walked 18 miles
Distance remaining 80 miles

Woke really early to see the sunrise throwing an orange glow on the side of the tarp. Got going quickly to start the long walk down to Garrigill, just over six miles. I was caught up by the two Yorkshiremen, who are Darren and Dave from Rochdale so, actually are Lancastrians but they went on ahead. About two miles of the track has been resurfaced since I last passed this way and made for a better pace of walking. 

At Garrigill (where the shop is still open (although I was too early for it) but the pub remains closed), I checked out the up to date information for camping behind the village hall (£7 donation with loos open 24 hours). On then to Alston. On the way I met Adam Jelfs, walking from John o'Groats to Land's End, posting to Facebook now and then. I gave him my blog address. In Alston, I bought some Isle of Mull cheddar at the deli  Across the road were Darren and Dave sitting at the market cross. They kindly looked after my pack while I did a resupply at the Co-op. They've booked into a B&B because of the dearth of camping options in Alston. 

I then left them and walked out of Alston, thinking of a possible wild camp at Whitley Roman Camp, although it was still only about 12.30pm. That's a problem with an early start to the day.  After a couple of miles I stopped for lunch. In fact, I stopped for about an hour. Whilst there, a walker came by and we talked. I don't know his name but he was walking from Oxford to Edinburgh. An interesting fellow, in his twenties, Swiss but has grown up in the UK. He said he had left Keld this morning and walks all the daylight hours. Looking up the mileage later, Keld was 66 miles away so that couldn't be right. 
















I passed by the fort. Whilst it might be suitable for a late wild camp, it's in a working farm and it was still only mid-afternoon. I topped up my water at a tap on the side of Yew Tree Chapel in Slaggyford which I knew of. Near Knarsdale, I was sitting with my back against a gate taking a quick break. I had to move to let a lady through with a dog. Falling into conversation, she and her husband farm nearby and she gave me permission to camp a couple of fields further on. I had intended to walk further but gratefully accepted her offer. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been off myself for a few days walking the Llangollen Canal so only just caught up with you. I am enjoying your posts and at the same time having memories of my own PW and many other times when other walks have coincided with it for a distance. Doing it alone seems to attract more offers of help accommodation and sustenance. I bet you're looking forward to the Cheviots. I think it was at Birness where Wainwright says "now gird up your loins as you never girded them up before."

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.