Tuesday 8 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 1 - 8 June 2021

Edale to past Crowden 

Walking 10.30am to 8.30pm
Distance walked 16.5 miles
Distance remaining 253.5 miles
















I walked from the station up to Edale village. I debated whether to buy a coffee and a couple of cakes at the cafe but that would have taken half an hour and I needed to crack on.

The weather was set fair for the day. I passed a few people over the two miles to the foot of Jacob's Ladder. From the top, all the way to Kinder Downfall, it was quite busy, even for a Tuesday. I stopped for lunch just short of the Downfall. Some way past it I stopped to chat with another backpacker. He was ending his walk at Edale. He'd started from Carlisle.

From Mill Hill, I met only two other people. I came across a grouse. Normally it would have taken flight noisily but it didn't move and it was only a few feet away from the path. Then I saw a few chicks. The walk to Snake Road seemed to go on for ever and the cars parked there never seemed to get any bigger and then I reached the road and continued on the other side.

Around 5pm I had a snack stop at Bleaklow Head and then tackled the interminable track and descent to Torside Reservoir. Last time I walked the PW in 2017 I spent the first night at the campsite at Crowden. On this trip I want to wild camp as far as possible so I continued along the PW for a mile or so and found a single pitch next to a bubbling stream marked as a ford on the map at spot height 284.

 














A long day.

4 comments:

  1. When walking in France and meeting fellow French walkers the say as we both set off again, "Bonne continuation." I wish you well and thanks for bringing back memories from my own PW in 1987. Yesterday I met another Pennine Wayer at Warland Reservoir on his way to Stoodley Pike and the north. It is a fine walk by any standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it first over 1975/76/77 and again in 2017. I was going to return to the South West Coast Path but thought it would be too busy this year. I’m planning to camp near Stoodley Pike tomorrow night.

      Delete
  2. Geoff, Thanks for the update! The weather looks wonderful and it's great to see a picture of you - did you get a fellow trekker to snap it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even a trekker. Just a random person nearby.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.