Friday 8 April 2022

Cotswold Ring Day 1 - 7 April 2022


Walking 3.10pm to 6.00pm
Distance walked 5 miles

This is the first day of a shakedown walk prior to the TGO Challenge next month. I need to check that my legs will carry me for a few days. I'd planned to bring along a new backpack that I finished only yesterday but one of the shoulder straps isn't right so I'm using my Gossamer Gear Mariposa which is tried and tested.

The Cotswold Ring is a circular route of about sixty miles. The official start is on the western edge of Cheltenham and the furthest point of the route on the west is Moreton-in-Marsh. That was a convenient place for me to start and Amanda dropped me off this afternoon. I have to be home on Tuesday so I probably won't go as far as Cheltenham and have identified on the map where I'll shorten the route.

There was a rain and hail shower as we left home but it cleared up very quickly. I located the footpath I wanted in Moreton and set off at about 3.10pm. My route so far has variously followed the MacMillan Way, the Monarch's Way and the Heart of England Way. At Longborough I decided to vary my route so as not to go through Broadwell and Stow-on-the-Wold and, instead, went through Upper Swell and Lower Swell.

I've found a nice woodland pitch just before Lower Slaughter although I have a noisy muntjac for company.

2 comments:

  1. Geoff, nice to see you're back on the trail again! Hearing the names of those Cotswold villages brings back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Mike. Of course I'm home now and will post updates shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.