Monday 14 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 7 - 14 June 2021

Ling Gill Bridge to Hardraw
Walking 9.15am to 1.40pm
Distance walked 11 miles
Distance remaining 162 miles

The midges eventually went away last night and I had a really good night's sleep. The walking was absolutely straightforward and quite high most of the way to Hawes. Good views all the time but sometimes quite windy. My morning coffee is now becoming a ritual at around 11am, I just don't have to grind the beans. 

Arriving in Hawes, I decided to have a short day. I had intended to spend some time in the Wensleydale Creamery cheese sampling room and treat the numerous morsels of cheese for lunch but there was a queue that didn't seem to be moving so I gave that a miss and had lunch on a bench in the town. Spar came next for resupply. I bought some Wensleydale and was told it was cheaper than at the Creamery even though made there. 

I also bought a midge net and repellant at an outdoor shop. Then went to a campsite (Bainbridge Ings) I've used before but they were only open for prior bookings. Anyway, it was a bit too upmarket for me so I walked 1.5 miles to Hardraw to the campsite behind the Cart House Tea Room which is more to my taste. It's very midgy but my head net is good. Not so sure yet about the spray. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.