Thursday 10 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 3 - 10 June 2021

Standedge Cutting to Colden 

Walking 9.50am to 6.30pm
Distance walked 18 miles
Distance remaining 225.5 miles


Amanda dropped me back at Standedge after a good overnight with family nearby. The weather was cloudy with rain expected this afternoon and thankfully not as warm as yesterday. 

Much of the first few miles was on the edge of the Pennines so the views to the west were amazing. 













I got talking to a couple of chaps from Ripponden out for a weekly circular walk. I caught up with them again at Nicki’s snack van just south of the M62. A tea and a steak, cheese and mushroom muffin slipped down quite quickly and set me up for the day. 

After the White House pub (which I didn’t go into), the Way followed alongside several reservoirs until, at the far end of Warland Reservoir, Stoodley Pike came into sight some distance off. Having a brief snack stop, another PW walker came by, and elderly chap doing it by using B&Bs with his wife, but she was having a day off today. He was overnighting in Hebden Bridge. 

Reaching Stoodley Pike, I had intended investigating nearby conifer woodland for a wild camp but it was only 4.20pm. The rain didn’t look as if it was coming so I decided to keep going. It was a long descent into the edge of Hebden Bridge, over the canal and road, then a punishing climb up the other side on an ancient narrow walled path, passing a number of old cottages on the way. I thought of the history the path could tell, it was so worn. 














Eventually, I reached Colden and the legendary May’s Shop. Camping is free and I shall investigate the wonders inside in the morning. There’s one other camper here but he’s spent the whole evening zipped up in his tent. There was a passing shower this evening but it’s now just a bit breezy. 







2 comments:

  1. What is that structure in the top photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve had to delete all photos as they were preventing the the posts from fully uploading. I’ll put them back when I get home. The structure was a trig (triangulation) point. There are hundreds of them around the country, put up at highest local points by the Ordnance Survey. They are now obsolete but still useful as navigation aids as they are shown on maps.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.