Wednesday 9 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 2 - 9 June 2021

Past Crowden to Standedge Cutting 

Walking 5.40am to 2pm
Distance walked 10 miles
Distance remaining 243.5 miles

At 11.20 last night I heard someone clumping by. I looked out but all I saw was a very dim light. I don't know why anyone would be out walking that late. Was I in the spot he had been heading for? The terrain is not ideal for night hiking.

I misread my watch this morning. I got up at what I thought was 5.30 and an hour later I looked at my watch again and it was still 5.30. I'd got up at 4.30! Still, it was a lovely morning. It was a steepish ascent to Laddow Rocks with superb views back to Crowden.
















As I didn’t have too many miles to cover, I had some leisurely stops. The first was just before Black Hill where I brewed coffee, a change from my usual coffee bags. It’s so much nicer using loose ground coffee and not as messy as I’d been led to believe. What they call cowboy coffee. 

It being a very warm sunny day, the surrounding views were extensive. A slight breeze helped. I wouldn’t have wanted it any warmer. There were plenty of curlews wheeling around protecting their nests. 

















My second leisurely stop was at Dean Clough, a popular spot. I had an enjoyable chat with an older man out for a day walk.

After that, Wessenden Head and a punishing pull up to Black Moss and past reservoirs to Standedge where Amanda and Kezia came to collect me for a home cooked meal, shower and a proper bed before returning to the trail tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.