Monday 14 June 2021

Pennine Way Day 6 - 13 June 2021

Above Malham Cove to Ling Gill Bridge
Walking 6.45am to 6.10pm
Distance walked 18.5 miles
Distance remaining 173 miles

Quite overcast to start with but the forecast was good. At the top of the ascent from the Dry Valley the PW was signposted sharp right, which I took, but I must have missed a sign further in as I emerged onto a bridle way but it was easy to regain the PW so no time was lost.

 














At Malham Tarn House activity centre I came across a young fellow and prevailed upon him to allow me access to a water tap to replenish my supply which was fortuitous, although there was a decent stream, Tennant Gill, about half a mile past the farm of the same name.

Up over Fountains Fell and then the long descent the other side. I stopped to chat with a north to souther. There was a clear view of Penyghent which I don't believe there was the last time I came this way in 2017. That time and the time before the weather has been an excuse not to ascend Penyghent but, it being a fine day, I went up and had a lunch break at the top. Well worth the effort.


 



























I went straight through Horton- in-Ribblesdale. The Penyghent cafe seems to be permanently closed. I stopped at the far end of the village at The Crown for a chilled pint of lime and soda before the long ascent and then level walk of about five miles in all to my wild pitch at Ling Gill Bridge. There was one other (cycle) camper there and later a father and son turned up on bikes. It was warm and still and the midges were out in force. I realised that my head net might be proof against mosquitos but not against midges.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.