Wednesday 7 September 2022

South West Coast Path Day 4 - 6 September 2022

Well, the weather forecast was out again. After another brief downpour after I'd pitched, that was it. I thought about packing up and going on but didn't. It rained a bit this morning after I woke up but it stopped before I left.

The morning started out well weather wise although windy up on the cliff top. Really lovely sea views and no-one else around. After an hour heavy rain arrived and this continued on and off all day.

Landmarks - for shipping, I think

Around 9am I met with Oli from Bristol, aged 18 and about to start uni in Plymouth, walking from Lands End to Plymouth. We stopped for breakfast just past the Minack Theatre at Porthcurno. 

Porth Curno

A while later I was ahead of Oli and he didn't appear and I didn't see him again till Lamorna Cove cafe at lunchtime. Seems he'd dropped a piece of kit and gone back to look for it, without success. Along the way I met two ladies from Alaska who were walking sections of the path with decent accommodation and lifts at the end of each day. They were not Sarah Palin fans!

We walked together for the afternoon. The path was tough, very undulating and rocky.

Arriving in Penzance just after 4pm, we debated what to do. Either to get past Marazion and look for a wild pitch or investigate the youth hostel. In the end, we phoned and booked camping but, on arrival, upgraded to beds in a dorm room. Either way we were able to have showers and use the kitchen.

Walked about 15 miles. A lot of it was quite slow. A good day, despite the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.