Thursday 15 September 2022

South West Coast Path Day 12 - 14 September 2022

Another early start. The rain was continuous from mid-afternoon yesterday to 6.45 this morning. I packed up and the rain stopped just a few minutes before I left my pitch to regain the coast path, only ten minutes away.

At Pentewan I visited the Co-op at 8am and bought a restorative coffee and bacon and cheese turnover. The Co-op is easy to miss. Its rear gate is just before the bridge and directly on the path.

Approaching Charlestown (from the west), there is a major path diversion. It's not signposted. A couple had walked a quarter mile only to find the path completely blocked and had to walk back. I met them as they were about to start on the diverted route and we walked the mile or so into Charlestown. They then went to a cafe and I walked on.

Charlestown


Past Carlyon Bay I stopped for lunch. Another lightweight backpacker, John, stopped to chat. I caught up with him later and we walked together from Polmear to Polkerris, he to take a break and go another route. Shortly after, I met with Tony who I'd come across a couple of times this week. We walked to Fowey. At Gribbin Head, I'd considered camping but it was too windy.

Tony headed for his accommodation in Fowey and I went down to the quay where the Polruan ferry was waiting. On board was Sheila, just two days into a cycle ride from Lands End to John o'Groats. At Polruan, I helped push her panniered bike up the long incline out of the village to the Polruan Holiday Park. I'd ascertained their rate for backpackers was £11 but on arrival they wanted £15 so I declined to stay and walked on a short distance and found a reasonable wild pitch. Eighteen miles walked.

Fowey
Fowey to Polruan ferry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.