Thursday 11 April 2019

Sörmlandsleden Day - Stage 1 - Björkhagen to near end of Stage 1


Walking 3.30pm to 6pm
Distance walked 8km

The flight from London Stansted to Stockholm Skavsta went very smoothly. On arrival, I caught a green Sörmlandstrafiken bus for the short journey into Nyköping. It was a bit chilly with flurries of snow. Within sight of the bus terminal in the centre of the town was a petrol station. Here I bought a litre of fuel for my stove. The name I wanted was rødsprit; I got röd etanol which appears to be the same thing. Anyway, the shop manager knew what I wanted and the bottle has a picture of a camping stove on it - cost SEK50, about £4.50, I think. 

I then walked the short distance back to the train station. The bus here had stopped at the station but I had to buy the stove fuel first.

I bought my ticket at an automat. I got one to Stockholm Central and one for the T-Bana out to Björkhagen in one transaction. I had a half hour wait for the train.



My first task after leaving the T-Bana was to buy some water. Nearby was a Co-op. By mistake, I bought fizzy water but it'll be fine, although it made my water belt expand more than it should. 

I found the start of the trail easily as it's opposite the station. There was a board indicating Etapp 1 and a couple of maps so off I went. I was immediately in a wooded area which led into an open recreational area and nature reserve with an adjacent golf course. There were a few people about, mainly dog walkers and joggers. 




The trail then became a narrower forest path and, now and again, going over rock. It was all easy to follow as the trail is marked with bands of orange paint around trees and it is usually possible to see the next one.

I passed by a couple of small lakes. It's quite cold although there is a little evening sun. I didn't need to have a long first day so after about 8km I found  a nice pitch not far from the path which will do very well for my first night.  


Sent from my iPhone


2 comments:

  1. Good start. Camp looks very nesa and tidy. Is language any problem - I guess most people speak pretty good English?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.