Thursday 25 April 2019

Sörmlandsleden Day 15 - Överdammen to middle of Stage 44


Walking 8.10am to 2.50pm
Distance walked 17.5km

The day started overcast but the sun broke through later. Although I've been wearing shorts for the past week, I have trousers for travelling home on Saturday and they were a bit grubby as I'd been wearing them for walking the first few days when the weather was colder. I dunked them in the lake to get some of the dirt out. I should have thought to have done it last evening and then they'd have largely dried out overnight. Anyway, I wrung most of the water out and draped them around my pack and they dried during the day. They are better than they were.

I suddenly found myself in the middle of a silver birch plantation. My favourite tree.



Completing the rest of Stage 36:2, I went on to 36:3. The route notes said the trail went over a "mountain", Jätterberget, all of 72m above sea level - little more than a hill.

The remains of a WW2 air surveillance station on  Jätterberget



Now and again over here, I've come across large ant hills made out of pine needles and absolutely teeming with ants. Swedish ants are about four times the size of those in the UK. They don't have wings and I don't know if they sting. Anyway, the path up to Jätterberget was alive with ants and I found them crawling up my legs!

Not a lot more to say about today. Stage 36:3 completed my circuit which I started on Day 10 by meeting with Stage 44 which leads back to Nyköping. I picked up water at the same excellent spring and pitched early at the same spot as at the end of Day 10.



Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I imagine you'll enjoy taking a nice long bath when you get home! Well done, Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff, Ants in ya pants! Excellent source of protein as Bear would say and Ray would be making needle tea, tastes like disenfectant! All you need is an iron to run over trousers, try a hot rock!
    ATB
    K

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.