Wednesday 11 March 2020

South West Coast Path Day 6 - 11 March 2020 Barnstaple to Northam Burrows Country Park

Walking 12.10pm to 6.10pm
Distance walked today 16 miles
Total distance walked 80 miles
Distance remaining 541 miles

For anyone interested, Phil's account of his SWCP walk is on Facebook - just search for Phil's Thru-hike of SWCP and Rest Month on Isles of Scilly. He hasn't got the impressive beard now.

After breakfast, we walked into Barnstaple. First stop was a phone repair shop where I left my phone for a new battery to be fitted. Then Mountain Warehouse for an inexpensive waterproof jacket. After a coffee at Costa, we collected the phone and went off to join the trail out of Barnstaple, now on the other side of the Taw estuary. It's a hard surface and there were dog walkers and cyclists. At Fremington, we stopped at the café on the trail and Phil then left to return home. It's good to have made a new friend and I hope we keep in touch. Many thanks Phil for your hospitality and good company.

Today's walking was mainly level and on good surfaces, with just a few muddy stretches towards the end - and it didn't rain, although it's raining as I write this.

I walked by industrial jetties and then sand dunes as I came into Instow. I then followed the former railway line alongside the River Torridge into Bideford. The town didn't detain me but it's reserved for a future visit. Crossing the river, the trail passed through Bideford alongside the other side. The path wound through some woodland. I stopped to chat with a lady who was sketching the ruined hulks perched on the mudflats. I then skirted Appledore Shipyard before entering the delightful village of Appledore, which brought to mind the narrow streets of St Ives.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.