Saturday 7 March 2020

South West Coast Path Day 1 - 6 March 2020 Minehead to North Hill

Walking 3.30pm to 5.30pm
Distance walked today 3 miles
Total distance walked 3 miles
Distance remaining 627 miles

All the travelling went well, even the five minute change of trains at Reading which I wasn’t expecting. On reaching Taunton station, the bus stop I wanted was just across the road after walking beneath a railway bridge. I had a half hour wait for the no. 28 bus and passed the time chatting to two ladies, Hattie and (?) Helen (she’ll correct my poor memory, I hope) on their way to a watercolour weekend at Minehead. 

On arriving, I went in search of a barber to have a severe haircut, so I can simply forget about my hair for the duration. Also the Co-op for inexpensive bottled water to get me started. That done, I headed for the sea front and the SWCP sculpture that marks the official starting point. A couple sitting on the sea wall kindly took my picture for the record. 

A cloudy and breezy walk to start with, past a small harbour and then a path above a stony beach until I reached some steps which took me on to a steep zig zag muddy path through woodland, climbing until a level track was reached on the edge of bracken covered moorland. The remains of Burgundy Chapel were below, a site to visit another time maybe.
Around here, there is a choice to be made. Take the right fork to follow the Rugged Path or left for the less rugged path. I’d walked the Rugged one before so I took the other. 

I passed a couple of dog walkers, walking in the direction of Bossington. Finding a perfect small patch of grass just a few feet from the path, it was a little early to pitch so I made some tea. When light started to fade and judging it unlikely that I would be disturbed, I put the tent up. A short day but I’m off to a good start. Before it got dark, I was able to look across the Bristol Channel to see the lights of South Wales. A home made Bhuna curry went down quite well. Now and then I hear the comforting sound of an owl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.