Thursday 11 August 2022

Oxfordshire Way Day 4 - 9 August 2022

 A couple of times in the night I awoke to a smell or stench. I don't think it was me. I'm sure it was some animal smell. Could it have been deer? I really don't know.

I was away by 7am, over the wooden steps straddling the boundary wall of the Estate. Continuing along Akeman Street, here the route was shared with the Wychwood Way, one of my local long distance paths which I've walked before. At Bagg's Bottom, I walked north through Stonesfield and it was easy walking into Charlbury. 

Bagg's Bottom

I knew of a Londis store here where I planned to buy water but it was slightly out of my way. I happened to have the Refill app on my phone and found there are two places in Charlbury who will fill water bottles. One was the Rose & Crown pub which was closed at the time I was to pass by. The other was the Charlbury Deli & Cafe which was open. It's a lovely place and they gave me water. Also, it would have been rude not have a coffee and a slice of apricot and almond frangipane - really delicious. A very friendly place and to be recommended.

Leaving Charlbury, I started to walk along Water Lane, a restricted byway, but after a short distance, I could see that it was wet and muddy and impassable (surprising given the lack of rain but perhaps the name gave it away) so I climbed over a gate to rejoin the Oxfordshire Way. Around Dean Grove, I was really on home territory. Easy walking then to Ascott-under-Wychwood and on to Shipton-under-Wychwood. I finished my walk at Bruern, having walked 13 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.