Saturday 21 May 2022

TGO Challenge Day 10 - 21 May 2022

Walking 6.40am to 3.45pm

Distance walked 15.5 miles
Distance remaining 40.5 miles

Away early and a lovely morning. I took the single track road on the west of Clunie Water, past the golf course. 

The bridge at Auchcallater

At Auchcallater I took the signed landrover track to Glen Callater. My planned route had been to take the path on the north side of Loch Callater but, instead, I took the easier vehicle track on the south side. In retrospect, this was a bad decision as the track crossed the burn at the far end and I had to walk through it.

Coffee stop opposite Callater Lodge

Glen Callater
 
The path was indistinct on the approach to Knaps of Fafernie and boggy. About here I met another Challenger, Paul, and we walked together on and off for about three miles although he was faster than me and I later lost him (or he me).

My original route was through Glen Doll but Storm Arwen some months ago caused extensive damage to the forest there and we were advised to divert via Glittering Skellies and Bachnagairn. This route was good at first but then became boggy above Loch Esk. It came on to rain, was windy so I didn't stop for lunch. The descent to Bachnagairn was lovely as the glen to the east came into view.

 




It was then a couple of miles to where I'd planned to camp but it wasn't really suitable so I carried on walking towards the Glen Doll car park. A short way before the car park I saw a couple of tents up to the right and went to have a look. It's not a great location but as a tarp pitch it will do. Nice view. I'd assumed my two neighbours were Challengers but they are not. They are friends up from near Glasgow for a few days walking and one uses a drone.

Storm damage


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.