Friday 9 October 2020

Seven Shires Way Day 5 - 9 October - Highfield Spinney to Kings Sutton

Away at 7am. Mainly field paths which took me through Wardington, Chacombe and Middleton Cheney, not far from home but I didn't really know them. The first two have many fine Hornton stone houses and cottages. Middleton Cheney has its nice parts but has been spoilt by modern housing developments. Still, it has a Co-op which was useful.

After Warkworth. I followed the route of the Jurassic Way towards the M40 which I heard long before I reached it, first crossing the railway by means of a bridge and then an underpass beneath the motorway. Not long after, I met the Oxford Canal where I stopped for lunch on the towpath. After lunch I had a leisurely walk beside the canal for about three miles. I only have ten miles to my destination tomorrow so stopped early. I found a possible pitch on the towpath itself by a former railway bridge but preferred to be out of sight although there have been very few people about. Anyway, only a few yards further on was a way into some scrubby woodland between the canal and the River Cherwell and my tarp is very well hidden. It's not quiet though - the railway is very close and there is constant traffic on the M40. Still, both should become less intrusive later on. Someone has camped here before although maybe not since 2013. I shall take the empty beer cans with me in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.