Monday 19 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 3 - 19 March 2018

Flaxley Woods to West Malvern
Walking 6.30am to 6.30pm
Distance walked today 25 miles
Distance walked so far 51 miles 
Distance left 532 miles

Last night's lodgings
 Oh what a day. There wasn't really anywhere to camp in Flaxleys Wood so the serendipitous offer by Su yesterday was great. I spent a comfortable night in the granary. 

I had arranged to overnight Monday with a friend in Malvern but had emailed him to say that it was likely to be Tuesday instead, due to the short day yesterday. 

I set off really early. It was a lovely but cold morning. There was still much snow in Flaxley Woods and even more on the footpath down to the A4136 at Longhope. I had decided again to road walk today. 

After Longhope, I followed narrow lanes up and over May Hill, where conditions were still quite Arctic and down through Clifford's Mesne. Here I photographed the inside of an old telephone box with a Chinese exhibition inside. I was told that the theme changes regularly.

The phone box
On into Newent where I sought out a cafĂ© for tea and a bacon and egg roll. Looking at the maps, I realised that reaching West Malvern today was feasible although it would be a long day. Road walking really eats up the miles. The weather was cold and breezy much of the time but with some welcome sunny spells. 

At Hollybush, I reached the southern tip of the Malvern Hills where there was still snow on the eastern flank. I made good time though but the disappearing snow left glutinous mud behind. 
The edge of the Malverns
I dropped down to the road at Colwall and then powered along West Malvern Road to where my friend Mike, and his wife Val, live. A G&T was thrust in my hand and a hot bath was had, followed by roast chicken. It's so tough being a backpacker. 

2 comments:

  1. Well Geoff you certainly know how to pick your start times! Two week ends of snow this year and you pick the second! Glad to hear it's going OK?? so far........
    Richard and Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaffers,

    Going well it looks, lets just hope the generosity continues along the trail.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.