Sunday 18 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 2 - 18 March 2018

Near Bream to edge of Flaxley Woods
Walking 7.50am to 3.30pm
Distance walked today 12 miles
Distance walked so far 26 miles 
Distance left 557 miles

My woodland pitch was good but looked very different this morning after several inches of snowfall. I was aware of it during the night as it blew into my tarp now and then but, even though the temperature dropped to minus 2, I was quite warm.



I eventually got going albeit later than intended. Dropping down through woodland towards the Dean Forest Railway, the path, covered in snow, was well signed at first but then I lost it completely. There was nothing for it but to climb the fence and follow the railway line as I knew that the path crossed the line after a while. After that experience, I made the sensible decision to road walk today and, fortunately, the lanes went in the direction I wanted to go. 

I stopped for lunch at the Dean Heritage Centre, all closed but I made use of the outdoor cafe seating. I was cold after that so, at Soudley, I called in to the White Horse for a pot of tea next to the fire. Lovely. 

On then to Littledean. There was very little traffic so the road walking was quite enjoyable. Thinking ahead about finding a pitch for the night, I entered the Forestry Commission's Flaxley Woods. It didn't look that promising as it was all coniferous. I was overtaken by a jogger, Sue, who interrogated me and, presumably reassured that I was normal, offered me a place for my tarp in her garden. In the event, and after consulting with her husband, Dennis, I am now housed in a dry outbuilding, a former granary. A mug of tea with her and a Twinky, were most welcome. Superb trail magic and only Day 2! So, only twelve miles and stopping earlier than intended but I shall have a comfortable night. 

1 comment:

  1. Gaffers,

    Sing;

    "Snow can burn your eyes, but only people make you cry"

    That's the end of the snow, let's hope the generosity continues.
    Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.