Monday 26 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 9 - 25 March 2018

Ebury Hill Camping to Edstaston
Walking 9.15am to 5.45pm
Distance walked today 12 miles
Distance walked so far 145 miles 
Distance left 438 miles

Another beautiful clear but chilly morning. A later start with clocks having gone forward and there was no rush as today needn't be a long one. The landscape is not so hilly now and, as usual, I had the whole of the countryside to myself.

At Hadnall, I found a village store I hadn't known was there so I did a little resupply, which was just as well (see below). I sat opposite the shop, next to the remains of a moat of the old Hadnall Hall that was demolished long ago, downing a pint of milk. The path then took me along the edge of a new housing development not shown on the map. This is happening quite often. There is building going on everywhere but the footpaths are always preserved.

From Grinshill to the hamlet of Clive the route took me through Corbet Wood, an impressive wooded area with nature trail. Stone had been quarried here in the past, leaving large sheer rock faces.



An easy field walk took me into Wem, quite busy even for a Sunday. Unfortunately, once I had located the large Co-op it was 4.05 and it had just closed.

Walking out of Wem, I thought about my options for camping. There is a Camping & Caravanning Club certificated site near Whixall (Abbey Farm) but it doesn't open till Easter and they would have charged me £12.00 which is a bit excessive. Past Whixall is the Llangollen Canal which I will be following tomorrow so I thought it best to find somewhere before then. So here I am in Edstaston churchyard in an extension outside the original churchyard. It's hidden from all roads and houses. The odd car goes by and I can hear the railway just over a kilometre away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    I always enjoy Sunday walking smells, fry ups, tumble driers fabic conditioner drying & the Sunday roasts.
    Remember no shops open next Sunday as Easter.
    Fare well this week Gaffers, Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.