Monday 26 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 10 - 26 March 2018

Edstaston to Maiden Castle
Walking 8.45am to 7.40pm
Distance walked today 17 miles
Distance walked so far 162 miles 
Distance left 421 miles

I realised when I was woken at about 6am that a coach depot was next door. They started firing up and kept their engines running. Probably off to do school runs. Once they left I dragged myself out of bed. It was quite cold. A lady came into the churchyard walking a dog so I waved and called out good morning. She waved back.

I made my way to the Llangollen Canal. Just before reaching it, at Welsh End, I met Des who was clearing moss from his front lawn. I asked to use a water tap and was invited round to the back garden for tea and biscuits. I also met his wife, Kath, and their very lively chocolate labrador puppy. I had been planning to go into Whitchurch but Des said it was further into the centre than might be expected so I thought I'd give it a miss. My plan in that case was to find the shop in Malpas for resupply but he said there is a shop at the garage at Grindley Brook. This could mean revising the route for the day somewhat.

The canal towpath was excellent, grassy and had recently been cut back. It was sunny so I stopped and pitched my tarp to dry out, as well as my quilt and mat that both got a bit wet in the night. The towpath for a while was on the border between England and Wales.

Drying out

At locks at Grindley Brook I sat outside at the café and had a pot of tea and slice of cake while my phone and battery pack were charging inside.



I found the garage shop a little way after the locks at Grindley Brook. Its food supplies were extremely basic. Continuing, the Sandstone Trail followed the canal and the Trail and I both left the canal after about a mile. The Trail was very well waymarked and easy to follow. The ground was generally dry underfoot and it was a lovely afternoon.

I stopped to investigate the small church of St. Chad in the Fields, now only used for a few services each year.



After a few more miles pleasant walking I arrived at Larkton Hill, owned by the National Trust. Part of this is Maiden Castle, a hill fort. I managed to pitch as light was fading. As I was getting organised, I realised that I'd lost a small carabiner that I use to secure part of my pack. I couldn't find it anywhere. After a while, I was very uncomfortable as there was a depression in the ground which meant whichever way I lay I seemed to be on a slope. I moved the tarp round a bit so it's much better and I found the carabiner!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ood 'start' to the day lung full of fumes but the magic is still there, tea and biccies, tea & cake karabiner found and comfort!
    Gaffers if you're not careful you'll be coming back a stone heavier :o(
    Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. St Chad's is lovely, and an even lovelier surprise for those who come across it unexpectedly.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying following your adventure, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.