Sunday 18 March 2018

Great English Walk - Day 1 - 17 March 2018

Chepstow to near Bream
Walking 10.30am to 5.30pm
Distance walked today 14 miles
Distance walked so far 14 miles
Distance left 569 miles

Maps and guide books
 The day started with some flurries of snow and it was quite chilly. Amanda returned home and I walked with friends Robin and Faith until lunchtime. Chepstow being in Wales (just), crossing the bridge over the Wye took us back into England.

Over the bridge into England
For a very short distance out of Chepstow the route coincided with the Offa's Dyke Path and then on and off with the Gloucestershire Way. We lunched in Robin and Faith's car and I then continued walking alone with the exciting prospect of a really long walk ahead of me.

Out of Aylburton, I heard the faint chuffing sound of a steam engine, which I assumed was the Dean Forest Railway. The route took me into Old Park Wood, part of the Lydney Estate. I caught sight of a few deer which were startled by my presence.

Not aiming to do a really long day, I found a nice pitch at the northern edge of Old Park Wood.



Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I put some comments on your earlier posts. Glad to se you on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off you go Geoff,
    Journey of 583 miles finishes with the final step!
    Stride on, Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.