Saturday 14 April 2018

Great English Walk Day 27 - 14 April 2018

Romaldkirk to Stanhope
Walking 8.45am to 4.00pm
Distance walked today 11 miles
Distance walked so far 411 miles
Distance left 142 miles*

I breakfasted with Charlie and Jeanette and they pointed me in the right direction, after Jeanette gave me a hug. Such lovely people to have met purely by chance. Thank you both for your kindness.




It was set to be a decent weather day. I had a route choice to make, given that I need to complete this walk by Monday, 23 April. The GEW route today, just past the village of Eggleston, would take me on a wide loop eastwards through Hamsterly Forest. Alternatively, and this is what I did, I could walk on a relatively quiet road virtually straight from Romaldkirk to Stanhope. There were a couple of long inclines but the moorland views were clear and wide ranging. It was quite enjoyable and cut seven miles out. If over the next few days I see similar opportunities I shall take them. My main aim is to walk all the way from Chepstow to Berwick and not slavishly follow the route of the GEW, good though it is. Thus, the mileage figures at the top of the blog postings appear inconsistent.




Once I reached Stanhope, I was planning to find a wild camp. I could see some patches of woodland beyond the village as I descended from the moorland. However, coming into the village, I could see a dozen or so motorhomes and caravans just off the road so I wandered in. What it was was a five day meet of the Camping and Caravanning Club, not an actual campsite. As I am a member I was made welcome and paid my £7.00. There are proper loo facilities here. A nearby couple, John and Sheila invited me into their caravan for a cup of tea. Other people have been very friendly.

1 comment:

  1. Well Geoff,

    I love the kindness people have shown and still continue to on your walk, long may it continue.

    To finish GEW on St. Georges Day is a master stroke, keep up the mileage matey!

    Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.