Thursday 25 June 2015

TGO Challenge Day 9 Saturday 16 May

Paul was up early and left, leaving me to get myself organised and decide what to do. As I lay in my sleeping bag after waking up, I thought about what was going on in my legs. I had assumed that it was all muscular and that I would walk through the pain and discomfort but the more I thought about it, the more it dawned on me that my legs don't have muscles up the front in front of the bones. I realised then that I was probably suffering from shin splints, something I'd only read about before. Amazingly, I was able to get internet access where I was and googled shin splints and, yep, that's what I'd got without a doubt. I knew then that it wasn't going to get better. I texted Roger Smith at Challenge Control for a bit of advice. He was very helpful but obviously it was for me to decide what to do. I looked at the map. I was about 8km out of Aviemore where I knew there was a rail station. Anyway, I packed up and started walking. At a junction of paths, one way went towards Aviemore and the other went towards Loch Morlich which would be my route were I to continue. I went a few steps each way a number of times and dithered about for a few minutes. In the end, I went in the Aviemore direction. It was hard as I had been so looking forward to finishing. However, there would be no easy way to bale out with five days to go.

Reaching Aviemore, I headed for the station and found there was a train to London at 1.30pm. I bought a ticket and went off to raid Tesco for food and drink to last me the long journey home. So, that was that. The right decision made though.

4 comments:

  1. Commiserations. I know how gutting it is to be forced to retire from the Challenge. Hope your shins are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff. I've just caught up with this. I'm sorry to hear it ended like that, but shin splints are incredibly painful (I had them on the last day of a Challenge heading for Catterline) and it was definitely right to stop. Carrying on would have been more and more pain! Still - a good walk up until then!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went a few steps each way a number of times and dithered about for a few minutes. In the end, I went in the Aviemore direction. It was hard as I had been so looking forward to finishing. However, there would be no easy way to bale out with five days to go.
    camping supplies

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a tough one ... but undoubtedly the right call! There will be other Challenges ...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.