Friday 23 May 2014

South Downs Way

I shall be walking the South Downs Way, from Winchester to Eastbourne, in a few days time. I'm quite excited, not having done a week's backpack since last June. I plan to wild camp each night, using a tarp (Golite Cave 1) but also intend taking a bivy bag for those nights when it's not expected to rain so that I can watch the stars. A new bit of kit I shall also be taking is an Ortlieb water belt. When wild camping, I have to pick up water well in advance of stopping for the night, especially in an area where water may be scarce. Carrying, say, two litres of water in a pack adds considerably to the weight of a pack. Carrying it not in a pack can look a bit conspicuous. Wearing it like a belt seems a good idea. I've tried it out at home and it's very comfortable around my waist and the weight wasn't really noticeable. I'll report back on this after the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.