Wednesday 16 January 2013

Frogg Toggs review

Having heard about these waterproofs, Frogg Toggs Ultra- Lite Rain Suit, I was interested in giving them a try. I bought them with my own money, sourcing them on line from a supplier in the USA. Here was a full set of breathable waterproofs weighing just nine ounces and costing twenty dollars! Mind you, the cost of delivery almost doubled this but I was sufficiently interested. The colour is a light to mid green. According to the website, the suit is "constructed from an ultralight waterproof, breathable, non-woven polypropylene construction. The patented bi-laminate technology with "welded" waterproof seams and unmatched sweat-free breathability is a great value in affordable rain wear." They certainly were light and fitted reasonably well. There are no frills. Thus no pockets in the jacket or trousers. The jacket cuffs are elasticated but OK. The trouser waist is also elasticated and I had no trouble putting them on over trail shoes. The hood is not elasticated but had a draw cord either side. It wasn't a bad fit and turned with my head. Obviously, it's not wired at all and it is best worn with some sort of hat underneath. Basically, the suit kept me dry and I didn't suffer from condensation inside so I suppose it is breathable.

So, it's quite good but what about the bad points? Well, the suit isn't going to last as long as other similar products and I would think that durability would definitely be an issue. The material is thin and I wouldn't want to go through brambles in it. I think that it would very easily be snagged by thorns although would presumably be easily repairable with duct tape. I wouldn't want to rely on it on a multi day hike but for day use on clear trails it is ideal. It packs down small and weighs very little. I liked it.

2 comments:

  1. I had a set of Frogg Toggs ages ago. I find that I concur with everything written above. They are without thrills and do keep modest rain off. I don't think I'd expect them to keep a gale at bay but little really will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I had seen these before but doubted that they could be any good for this kind of money. Glad you liked the top. And for the cost you could have got 2, sold one here and halved the import,vat duties. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.