Friday 9 October 2020

Seven Shires Way Day 4 - 8 October - Mollington to Highfield Spinney

Back walking the SSW again. I have about 66 miles to do and plan to reach Thame next Tuesday or Wednesday. Amanda dropped me off along a lane just outside Mollington by some agricultural buildings. The path went alongside them.

I followed field paths and then a road into Claydon, Oxfordshire's northernmost village, bordering Northamptonshire. Along a narrow lane a short way out of the village, I crossed over the Oxford Canal. A grassy area beside Claydon lock looked perfect for camping but it was only 5pm and I planned another hour walking. The larch plantation I'd identified in the map wasn't suitable but Highfield Spinney is fine. It was very noisy earlier with pigeon, crows and pheasant but it's quiet now although I just heard thudding hooves of maybe a deer.

Just three miles walked but I only set off at 3.45pm. After all the rain of the last few
days, it's now looking not quite so unsettled. I'm sure there will be some rain but it's not cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.