Sunday 8 March 2020

South West Coast Path Day 2 - 7 March 2020 North Hill to Countisbury

Walking 5.50am to 5.00pm
Distance walked today 16 miles
Total distance walked 19 miles
Distance remaining 611 miles

I got up when I woke up, thinking it would be getting light by the time I was away. In fact, I walked the first half hour in the dark. Still, the path was easy to follow.

Around the foot of Bossington Hill the dog walkers were out. It was very muddy in parts around the marshes skirting Porlock. A week ago I'd seen a photo on Facebook of the flooding on one side of a footbridge. I think it had subsided a little as I was able to make my way around the edge.

The path entered woodland past Porlock Weir and wound its way up and down to Culbone where there is the smallest church in the country in regular use. Here and at other places along the way I filled my water bottles from streams and waterfalls, putting half a chlorine tablet in each.

Today has been hard work with numerous ascents. Not far from Countisbury a lady was clearing away an honesty shop by the trail. Just in time I relieved her of a banana and a nutty bar. I'm pitched in a small former quarry not far from Countisbury church. It's very blustery.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I'm following you with interest. I have walked all the path from Barnstaple onwards to Poole in three forays but in the other directoon. I would like to do the fill in from Monehead to Barnstaple. I see you are tenting so that gives you the advantage of getting off early in the morning. Anybody who does the whole route in one hit has my greatest admiration.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.