Tuesday 16 April 2019

Sörmlandsleden Day 6 - Näslandet to past Tullgarn Slott - Stages 59, 58, 57 and part 56

Walking 6.40am to 4.50pm
Distance walked 29km

An early start with a brisk 3km to Sandviken and the free ferry across Skanssundet to Horningsholm. The ferry leaves at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour. There was a cyclist camping there. Had I known this was possible I'd have done the same.

I located a water tap on the outside of the ferry office. The ferry arrived and I chatted with the captain when he came over to the office. He spoke excellent English; he has cousins in Cleethorpes and near Glasgow.





He told me that there are 150 houses in Sandviken but only ten per cent are occupied full time; the rest are summer cottages. He lives there and has been operating the ferry for twenty five years and loves it.

The crossing only took five minutes - just three cars and me. The cafe has a water tap but as it doesn't open till 1 May I should imagine the water is turned off.



Over a rocky area, I suddenly found myself in a red squirrel colony. Two rushed across in front of me and scampered up a nearby tree. Soon there were others and they made the trees come alive running up and down branches, chattering.



A while later I surprised a deer which bolted off. I didn't recognise it and wasn't one I'd seen before.

After Kasholmen and its road bridge over Norafjärden, the route took me through woodland with a notice at each end advising of wild boar - I saw extensive damage to the ground where they had rooted for food. I saw more evidence in other places during the day. As they are nocturnal and shy, I'm unlikely to see any.

I went up and over a hill fort - Fornborg - I'm not sure if this was the name of it or if it's the generic name. "Borg" can mean fort.



Down towards Tullgarn nature reserve the land around me became quite agricultural and not so interesting; also some road and farm track walking. Stage 57 ended near Tullgarn Slott (castle). It has a cafe but a 1km walk there and the same back didn't tempt me - it may not have been open.

Tullgarn slott

After a long day I'm pitched amongst trees. Were it not for the trees, I would probably have a view across Tullsgarnviken, a large water inlet with castle on a promontory.



Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Do you meet anybody else on the trail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-one else walking it. At the weekend there were a few people around and the odd jogger and mountain biker. Otherwise, and since the weekend, I've had the trail to myself. Alone but not lonely. I wonder, has anyone else from the UK walked this trail?

      Delete
  2. I think my friend Bowland Climber has done something similar but perhaps a higher level route:
    https://bowlandclimber.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.