Sunday 14 April 2019

Sörmlandsleden Day 3 - Tyresta to Paradiset

Walking 7.15am to 4.15pm
Distance walked 21km

It was a cold night - my thermometer showed 0C this morning although I don't know how accurate it is. I walked through lots more forest but it's not at all boring. Some of is primeval and is left completely undisturbed year after year. Blowdowns are frequently left across the path unless they make it totally impassable and, often, walkers just make a new route around them.





Arriving at the town of Handen, I located an ICA supermarket and stocked up on a few things, including a litre of milk. I downed half and put the rest in a bottle. It will be nice to have fresh milk in my tea.

I crossed the railway via a covered walkway leading to the station and the steps down the other side brought me to a park where the trail went by a lake before returning to more forest and rocky outcrops. I should say here that the forests aren't at all like commercial forests in the UK which can make for quite oppressive walking. Here, the trees are more widely spaced and consist of mainly coniferous of various kinds and silver birch. Where they grow on flat ground they make for ideal camping. There is plenty to see in and amongst the trees.


Today there have been plenty of rocky outcrops, very smooth and easy to climb and walk over. Also many areas of swamp and bog but wooden walkways, some quite long, make it easy to avoid wet feet. These are generally well maintained. In fact, at the beginning of each stage, as well as a description of the terrain, there is also the name and phone number of the person responsible for the stage.
After crossing a busy road via a tunnel, the path was damaged by off road motor bikes. When stopped for lunch, I heard them coming and three lads on bikes came up the trail. Not far from where I was sitting they came to a halt and I could hear them revving, trying to go further but not succeeding so they came back and went off in another direction.

At Riddartorp, I refilled my water from a hand pump near the path, indicated by a sign, källe. The water looked a bit murky but I put chlorine tablets in so it shouldn't do me any harm. Lake water might have been better.





I passed through two nature reserves, Steppnan and Sveltsjön. An information board at each gives information in English with various activities which are not allowed. For example, camping is not allowed....for more than two consecutive nights. I approve!

Approaching Paradiset, I followed a sign indicating a shelter just 0.1km away next to a lake. Here, there is a cabin and a wind shelter and plenty of room for camping amongst the trees (which is where I am). Around the fire in front of the cabin, I met Johann, Hermann and Lars who are staying over the weekend. Johann is a frequent visitor here from Stockholm. I went over to chat with them and to enjoy the warmth of the fire. The shelter is also occupied and there are also tents here and there but it is very quiet.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.