Thursday 25 April 2019

Sörmlandsleden Day 14 - Vibberholmen to Överdammen


Walking 7.50am to 3.50pm
Distance walked 17.5km

A lovely sunset over the water as darkness fell last night. 




This morning, a ship went by, possibly bound for 
Nyköping. 



Promising to be another fine day, I walked the trail, often down to the water's edge. It then went inland and passed by the site of a Kolerakyrkogård, a cholera burial ground, dating back to the 19th century. There's nothing there, just part of the woodland now. 





Reaching Lake Navsjön after 6.5km, I came across a peculiar structure called a Kolarkoja. This was a charcoal hut, occupied at one time by charcoal burners as the procedure took some time and meant the men didn't have to return home each night. 





I stopped at a shelter by the lake and took the opportunity to rinse out some items of clothing to freshen them a bit and replenished my water from the lake. Dotted around this end of the large lake were fishermen. One was descaling a large salmon by the water side. 





Stage 36 ended here and I then went on to 36:1, a good, clear, level path for most of the way. 





I stopped part way to fill my small bottle at a spring, one of those with a wooden cover. The stream next to it was a vile reddish brown colour but the spring water was surprisingly clear and uncoloured. 



At Gälkhyttan I went on to Stage 36:2 and, after about 2km, reached my halt for the night. There's a shelter and toilet on a finger of land jutting out into the lake. I've pitched on the westward side as it is much less windy and faced the afternoon sun. 



Just reading


The shelter guest book shows many visitors this year but very few spending the night although two Germans overnighted here only last night. Before that, the last overnighter seemed to be on 1 March. 


Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Gaffers, did you miss the'hanging'?
    If they were rescaling the salmon must've been a spare steak for you?
    Love the fact it is so quite and so few people about, nice walking.
    Must only have days left, catch you tomorrow.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.