Wednesday 13 March 2019

Hertfordshire Way Day 8 - 8 March - Graveley to Ayot St. Lawrence

Started walking 9.30am to 5pm
Distance walked 14 miles
Distance left 9 miles

Steve dropped me off after breakfast so as to avoid early morning traffic. My plans have changed. I shall now only walk as far as St. Albans. My wife phoned and announced that the children and grandchildren are coming for lunch on Sunday. That in itself might have tempted me home early but was clinched it was the prospect of roast leg of lamb!

Just past Titmore Green, I met with an old friend, Ellie. We were at primary school together in Stevenage and, until 2017, we hadn't seen each other for 55 years. As I was passing her way, it would have been extremely rude not to get in touch. We had coffee at her place and had a catch up and I continued on my way, going through St. Paul's Walden and Whitwell, very pleasant walking and so few people about. Stopping for lunch on the edge of a field, I watched a herd of thirteen deer a couple of hundred yards away. I was totally still but they very quickly detected my presence.

I bypassed Codicote and took a bridleway off the HW towards Ayot St. Lawrence. Here, I found my night's pitch deep within woodland close to the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.