Tuesday 5 March 2019

Hertfordshire Way Day 4 - 4 March - Hertford to Cold Christmas

Walking 9am to 3.30pm
Distance walked 13 miles
Distance left 113 miles

A late start as my battery pack was kindly being charged overnight in the site reception and they don't open till 9. It was a straightforward walk into the town centre and, luckily, I found the underpass beneath the A414 which goes through the middle of the town.

I'd have liked to spend more time there but had to get going. I found the Tesco and, fortuitously, the Tourist Information Centre where I bagged the only copy of the latest Hertfordshire Way guide book. Immediately, I was able to navigate my way out of town. I should have bought it before I left home.

The Way followed alongside the River Beane, a chalk stream of which there are only two hundred in the world and most are in Hertfordshire.



At the tiny hamlet of Stapleford the route took me along a road called Clusterbolts - I wonder where that name came from. Then, continuing by the river but now in woodland before entering Woodhall Park, really lovely and well cared for.

Woodhall Park

Then, crossing the A602 and into Sacombe Park. Through Thundridge and its well preserved cottages and at 3.30 I had to consider my options.

Ruined tower of old Thundridge church

If I walked on for another couple of hours, there was nowhere obvious on the map for a wild camp and I was right by a perfect wood so I called it a day with a view to an early start tomorrow to make up. The expected blustery showers only produced rain for about 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.