Monday 4 March 2019

Hertfordshire Way Day 3 - 3 March - Northaw to Hertford

Walking 6.35am to 3.30pm
Distance walked 15 miles
Distance remaining 126 miles

I got away before the first dog walker came by. It was raining very lightly. The HW made a loop around Cuffley along field paths and then went into the only shopping street where I found a Tesco Local and a Costa. Here I had a large Americano which was really larger than necessary, especially on a rather empty stomach.

Just a few feet away from the path!
On the northern edge of Cuffley I entered Home Wood, after which there was a road walk up to the village of Newgate Street followed by a long farm track and woodlands. I met a lady walking dogs who said the dogs had barked at a kangaroo nearby on a farm but I didn't see it.

Catkins

At Essendon the HW went across a golf course at Essendon Country Club where I made a mess of exiting by taking the access road out which was in completely the wrong direction which meant a road walk of a mile at the other end to get back on route.

Bayford Wood was nice for a lunch stop. Approaching Hertford, the HW went alongside the railway for well over a mile and then over a footbridge by a housing estate and into Hertford. The Camping and Caravanning Club site is on a lane out to the south of the town and there is no easy way to it from the HW. I asked directions of several people and muddled my way there, adding more unnecessary distance to the day. Still, on arrival I was made very welcome. Storm Freya is due and I've managed to pitch in a very sheltered spot amongst trees. It's very blustery but the tarp is hardly moving. I've had a needed hot shower.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, Have been enjoying your diaries of the HW! I forgot, are you headed South to North?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.