Sunday 3 March 2019

Hertfordshire Way Day 2 - 2 March - Munden Estate to Northaw

Walking 7.35am to 5pm
Distance walked 18 miles
Distance remaining 141 miles



It was quite a challenge extricating myself from last night's wood, so overgrown was at the edges. Still, it ensured I wasn't disturbed (apart from some very noisy muntjacs). At the precise moment I emerged, I was met by the baleful glare of a dog, as if he knew what I was up to. Behind him was its owner, just out for an early walk. We chatted briefly with no curiosity on his part about where I'd come from. I called in at the nearby stables and was able to get water.

Wall Hall

I came across a quite magnificent stately home type of building, Wall Hall, and then the Wall Hall Estate, a rather nice development north of Aldenham. Then an across fields path to Aldenham. Often this sort of path at this time of year can be very muddy but obviously the ground drains well as my shoes didn't accumulate any mud.

Approaching Shenley, the HW took a very roundabout route through a park and around the edge of a housing development which was actually very nice. Then, with about a mile between them, I crossed the M25 and the A1(M) (walking alongside the latter for half a mile) towards Potters Bar, across a closed golf course and through some decent housing before escaping the urban sprawl.

My pitch tonight is not discreet, being by the side of the path but I was in danger of running out of daylight. A dog walker went by but he ignored me. I thought he would be the last but a few minutes ago someone went by in the dark, obviously without a light, but on seeing the tarp in the gloom he flashed a light in my direction. I can't imagine there will be anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.