Thursday 29 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 13 - 29 March 2018

Brereton Heath Nature Reserve to Mow Cop
Walking 7.45am to 12.15pm
Distance walked today 7 miles
Distance walked so far 200 miles 
Distance left 384 miles 

Had a good night's sleep and was woken by an owl and then the dawn chorus. At some time in the night I was aware of a sizeable bird in the tree above me taking off in flight. Possibly an owl but it made no audible sound.


After a stretch of country lane alongside the reserve, I took a footpath through fields. Not as muddy as yesterday. I stopped to chat with Dave on the approach to the Macclesfield Canal, who asked me about my walk. After crossing the canal I joined the South Cheshire Way which then involved a muddy climb up through Roe Wood to a communications tower before dropping down to Mow Cop and Castle Camping. It's an exposed site but with extensive views to the town of Biddulph to the east. Whereas last night my tarp was in fair weather mode strung up between trees and room almost to stand in, here it is in storm mode, pegged to the ground on three sides as it is windy and there has been a lot of rain this afternoon and evening. 


Mid afternoon I was joined by Mike Menzel, a fellow Backpackers Club member who has come over from Germany especially to walk with me for the next couple of days. I hope the weather improves! We spent some great time catching up. For anyone who likes to follow hiking blogs, Mike walked from Land's End to John o'Groats last year and blogged each day at

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff and welcome back Mike,

    Owls are ok it's woodpeckers that can be a bl**day nuisance!

    Let's hope the weather is kind over next few days.
    Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.