Wednesday 28 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 12 - 28 March 2018

Holmston Hall CCC site to Brereton Heath
Walking 9.30 to 7.10pm
Distance walked today 16 miles
Distance walked so far 193 miles 
Distance left 391 miles

I started with road walking to Wettenhall. The fields I crossed had been used by cattle and were clumps of grass with hoof holes filled with water and worse. It was quite slow going. I was glad to reach Church Minshull for lunch which I had in the churchyard. I was slightly tempted to have lunch in The Badger next door but I probably look rather a sight with muddy smelly shoes.

Church Minshull
Just after crossing the railway bridge on the approach to Warmington, the footpath came to a stile, on the other side of which was a large pool of slurry totally obstructing the path on the other side, caused by a farmer placing a mountain of manure right next to it. 

Gross!

I backtracked a few feet, scrambled through a hedge and rolled under an electric fence to a farm track. The continuation of the footpath on the other side was unpleasant as slurry had spread to it. To avoid it, I walked parallel to the path through a field. The other end of the footpath was totally flooded with I know not what. I have photos which I intend sending to East Cheshire Council. I'm aware that farmers have no obligation to maintain footpaths but obstruction is another matter. I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad.

Approaching Elworth, the ground improved somewhat and at times became really nice walking. Although a bit chilly at times, the evening turned quite sunny. Just before reaching my destination for the night, I stopped to chat with a lovely lady, Deborah Edwards, walking her black labrador, Obi. I told her of my walk and, as we parted, she shook my hand and gave me a hug!

A few minutes later, I arrived at my night's accommodation. I have a perfect wild pitch in Brereton Heath Nature Reserve. It's a haven for dog walkers but they disappeared as light faded.




5 comments:

  1. Well Geoff that was a mucky day, less of them the better!
    Well done, cracked through the 400 mile mark, a great effort!
    Stride on!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely chance meeting that was Geoff and how impolite of me to not give you my name , Deborah Edwards with Obi . Good luck on your journey all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making contact. And thanks for my first hug!

      Delete
  3. You do get to meet some wonderful people on a long walk, Geoff. My leeson learned was that the longer you're on the walk, the happier you are, and the people you meet are correspondingly more wonderful.
    Have a good day, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.