Tuesday 27 March 2018

Great English Walk Day 11 - 27 March 2018

Maiden Castle to Holmston Hall CCC site
Walking 9.20am to 5.55pm
Distance walked today 15 miles
Distance walked so far 177 miles 
Distance left 407 miles

If I'd had more time before nightfall last night I'd have found a better pitch. The map showed the area to be wooded but the trees had been felled and other nearby ground wasn't level or was covered with undergrowth. As it was, the site was exposed to the elements and during the night it was quite windy and it rained most of the time. Still, I slept quite well. Great views!


I continued following the Sandstone Trail and what a lovely walk it was. At the top of Bickerton Hill, there is a stone with private laments to Kitty from her husband who survived her. In them there are references to North Wales and Ardnamurchan, places they had spent time together. Here I met Gina Thornley who was walking her great dane. We chatted on the way down to where her car was parked. Great company. Her daughter is Victoria Thornley, the Olympic rower.



The way crossed the A534 and climbed up through more woodland to Raw Head. Apparently Liverpool Cathedral can be seen on a clear day 43km away but not today. After some field walking there was a climb up through Bulkeley Hill Wood and the high level was maintained around the Peckforton Hills. Just lovely. I stopped for lunch and as I was getting ready to move on I was able to chat to and give my Ucare flyer to a lady with a dog and then a couple visiting from Bedford, both within a space of five minutes.

On to Tarporley where I resupplied and then a final three miles to my campsite. I've had a welcome shower. My neighbour here is Kevin. He does estate management. He lives in a tepee which he built himself. He came for six months but that was three years ago. We had tea in his tepee. It was so warm and snug. He lent me a towel for the shower (mine is flannel sized) and baked me a potato in his woodburner. It was delicious. A good day and I understand I've been lucky with the weather as there's been much rain further south and I've had none today.


1 comment:

  1. Morning Gaffers, wet one hope you get gear dried but forecast not too promising.

    Liverpool cathedral, that's the one that looks as if it's going to launch?

    Great you met another Kevin, see were not all bad, magic!!

    Stride on!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.