Monday 11 December 2017

Great English Walk - introduction

This is the plan for 2018. Starting on 17 March, I intend to walk the Great English Walk. It starts in Chepstow and ends in Berwick-upon-Tweed, a total of 583 miles. It should take around five weeks. It isn't well known although there is a published guide to it, in two parts. The first book will take me to Hathersage in the Peak District and the second one from Hathersage to Berwick. I intend to camp every night unless an obvious alternative presents itself.


Why am I doing it? Well, it is a walk I like the look of and the distance is something of a challenge. Also, I want to raise money for a charity that is now close to my heart and, also, my one remaining kidney. The charity is Ucare Urology Cancer Research and Education. As some of you may know, I had a kidney removed in January 2017 at the Churchill Hospital, Oxford. It had rather a large tumour around it. I feel fine now. Ucare was set up ten years ago. Its aims are:

  • To support research into the causes, prevention and treatment of urological cancers and related conditions.
  • To promote the development of new technologies that will help to improve the diagnosis and treatment of urological cancers and related conditions.
  • To provide equipment and facilities for research, and for the treatment of cancer patients.
  • To provide information and education about urological cancers.

Here is a link to Ucare's video.

I have set up a Just Giving page so I hope some of you will support me. I shall aim to blog daily here, subject to phone signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.