Saturday 1 June 2013

Cotswolds weekend Monday - 19 miles walked

The temperature dropped to freezing again last night; the tarp was crusted with ice - and this is the tail end of May! I woke at 5.45am and shortly after I saw the sun rise. Tried to take a photo but couldn't capture it well enough. I must explore the settings on my camera to see if it's possible.


I was camped by Long Barrow at SP143207 and went over to have a look. Just a raised area of ground, tree covered. I was walking by 6.45am following the Macmillan Way through a quiet Lower Slaughter, filling my water bottle from the river flowing through the middle of the village. Then on to the Gloucestershire Way/Monarch's Way, followed by a stretch of the Heart of England Way to Lower Swell. There I saw an interesting use of a defunct telephone box. Inside, instead of a telephone was defibrillator equipment. Then on to Upper Swell and across to Tesco at Stow-on-the Wold to get some food for second breakfast. It may be signed as a "superstore", but there was no cafĂ© there, otherwise I'd have been tempted by a full English.

Out of Stow to Maugersbury down to Icomb where, shortly after, I joined the Oxfordshire Way. The weather was so nice here that I spent an hour over a leisurely lunch, eating, reading, snoozing. On then to Bledington, taking the Diamond Way north. The mud at SP243245 was so bad that, after two attempts to get round it, I gave up and took an alternative route to reach the bridge over the railway at Daylesford. It was a pleasant walk through the grounds of Daylesford House and Daylesford Hill Farm, then through Cornwell and so home. A really great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.