Wednesday 14 April 2010

North Oxfordshire

A day's walk starting not far from home. The car was taken to just outside town and parked. This saves about three miles in all. Walked across fields to Swerford


 and Hook Norton, skirting the eastern edge of the village (and going nowhere near the brewery or any pubs) and then heading east to Wigginton. Here, I'd planned to stop for a pint at the White Horse, a Hook Norton pub, but there was a notice up saying it was closed until further notice. That was a bit of a blow but I walked on to South Newington and called in at the Duck on the Pond, a pub I'd only driven by before. A look inside South Newington church was rewarding. There were some magnificent wall paintings.



Just out of South Newington was a workshop with some unroadworthy cars parked or dumped outside. This was one that caught my eye.



My way then took me south to Great Tew (through the Great Tew Estate). I know the village quite well but can never resist taking photographs here. It's a very photogenic village. I didn't have time for a pint at the Falkland Arms, unfortunately.




I then went on through Little Tew, being slightly taken aback by a field of grazing alpacas.


It was then back to the car. The weather was good all day and not at all a bad walk virtually on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.