Wednesday 14 April 2010

Chlorine tablets

Backpackers use various means to avoid gippy tummy. For years, I've used chlorine tablets and have never had any problems. One tablet per litre of water, followed by a neutralising tablet to take away the chlorine taste. I have to say, though that during my LEJOG in 2009, towards the end in Scotland, I wasn't bothering with the neutralising tablets and didn't really notice any particular taste of chlorine. A problem that I've found with the tablets, though, is that they deteriorate in the container they come in after a few months. I don't know if this affects their effectiveness but I then tend to throw them away which is a bit of a waste. However, on buying a new supply, the brand being Life Systems, I found that the pack of 72 tablets came in sealed packets containing eight each. This will hopefully mean that unused tablets will stay usable until needed. Although the price was higher than when I last bought them, it includes a fabric water filter, which may come in useful. The neutralsing tablets don't tend to deteriorate in the same way.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you use the Travel Tap system. It's much better (and quicker) than tablets.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.