Tuesday 12 May 2009

Day 38 Tuesday - Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Dent

Walking 9.20am to 5.30pm
Distance walked today 15 miles
Total distance walked 548 miles
Distance left 504 miles

A late start as I had to wait for the village shop to open. Vinnie left quite early. He's continuing up the Pennine Way to get to Hawes tonight. We've met three times along the way. The next possible meeting is at Peebles (I'll be there on 22 May) or any number of places after that.

I took the path out of Horton-in-Ribblesdale over the railway at the station signposted Crummack. After the path off for Crummack, my path was signposted Ingleborough (one of the Yorkshire Three Peaks). It was quite a long haul up there although I didn't need to go to the summit. Just before the last pull up to the top, the path I wanted turned sharp right downwards north-east for a bit and then a long, steep and sometimes rocky descent to Chapel-le-Dale. It was very windy on Ingleborough but it lessened as I made my tortuous way down. I could see the Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle line quite clearly down in the valley.





















Just past the pub on the B6255, I took a farm road which eventually led to a path up the flank of Whernside (another of the Three Peaks). The views really opened up as I climbed and were stupendous in all directions. The downside was that the wind strength increased on the ridge path so much that, at times, I was blown off course on to the grassy swathe between the path and a drystone wall. Still, at least it wasn't raining.

























My path off the ridge was at a trig point but I began to lose height and realised that I'd missed it. I went back about two hundred yards and found it behind the wall. The path down into Kingsdale was clear and led me down on to a tarmac narrow road which I followed down into Dentdale and the village of Dent and my campsite. The village is very picturesque with cobbled streets and huddled-together cottages. There is a village shop here for supplies.


















The road down into Dent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.